Reading time: 3 minutes
The General Data Protection Regulation (commonly known as GDPR) is like a giant elephant in the room – it’s huge, scary, and everyone’s trying to avoid it. Ignoring GDPR compliance can lead to significant legal and financial consequences.
However, a robust cybersecurity strategy can help you achieve and demonstrate GDPR compliance.
Here are 10 essential steps to tame the GDPR “beast” and protect your business:
1. Understand the scope of the problem. Identify all personal data you hold. This includes names, addresses, IDs, financial data, health data, location data, online identifiers, and more. Audit all databases, files, forms, apps, and devices where data resides.
2. Are you confident you have mapped out all data flows within your organisation? If not, it’s time to map all data flows within your systems. Understand how data moves between your databases, apps, cloud services, and third parties. Identify all entry and exit points where data is accessed or shared.
3. Classify data based on sensitivity. Assign impact levels (e.g. high, medium, low) based on the risk to individuals if the data is compromised. Treat high-impact data with the highest security controls.
4. Protect that data with strong security measures. This means implementing access controls, data encryption, security monitoring tools, and regular security testing. Think of it like an invisible shield around your customers’ data – only authorised people can access and use it as intended.
5. Use multi-factor authentication to verify users. Require a second factor, such as a one-time passcode via SMS or an authenticator app. This significantly reduces the risk of unauthorised access.
6. Implement security monitoring and logging. Use tools that can detect anomalous activity indicating a possible breach. Retain logs for at least one year to aid investigations.
7. Respond quickly to security incidents. Even the best defences can fail. You need an incident response plan to detect issues, limit damage, and notify authorities within 72 hours, as required by GDPR. With the right cybersecurity tools and processes, you can minimise the impact of incidents.
8. Conduct regular security assessments. Test for vulnerabilities, misconfigurations, and compliance gaps. Use both automated and manual techniques. Fix issues immediately and adjust your strategy based on results.
9. Provide GDPR training to your employees. They are your first line of defence and your most significant risk. Ensure everyone understands what data they can access, why, and how to handle it securely. Make training interactive and engaging to drive retention.
10. Designate a Data Protection Officer who is an expert on GDPR requirements. They can audit your compliance, advise on improvements, and act as the point of contact for data subjects and regulators.
By following these 10 essential steps as a starting point, you can make significant progress towards GDPR compliance.
If you fail to comply, fines can cripple your business. But success brings rewards: customer trust, a competitive advantage, and peace of mind.
So, don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions or need guidance.
At Net Essence, we understand the GDPR elephant can seem intimidating and overwhelming. That’s why we’re here to help! There are no silly questions to ask on this subject. Suppose any part of your data collection or security strategy feels unclear or has potential flaws. In that case, we want to hear from you.
With the right cybersecurity solutions in place and expert guidance from our team, we can help you tame the GDPR beast and minimise your risks. Our support includes:
• GDPR compliance assessments to identify gaps and high-risk areas
• Guidance on implementing adequate security controls and data mapping processes
• Customised GDPR training programs to educate your employees via Cybersmart
• Recommendations for tools and technologies that simplify compliance
• Incident response planning and security testing to verify your defences
Sign up for our upcoming webinar to learn practical strategies that will make an immediate impact.
With Net Essence’s help, you don’t have to face the GDPR elephant alone. Our experts are standing by, ready to answer your questions, identify solutions, and develop a customised plan to ensure your compliance.
With a robust cybersecurity strategy incorporating the right people, processes and technologies, you can tame the GDPR “beast” and protect your company’s future.